One man's struggle to come to terms with leaving Wigan.

måndag, januari 24

Bit of a trauma last night. We bought some new furniture at the weekend that necessitated me moving my PC. Not a problem, as it gave me a chance to take the system apart, dust everything down and untangle all the spaghetti at the back.

Everything went swimmingly, until I plugged everything back in and switched on the monitor. Not a sausage.

I eventually tracked the problem down. I’d plugged the power supply for the monitor into the modem, and vice versa. The plugs were the same, and since both of them were unbranded generic power supplies, there was no reason why I’d know which was which. Even if I saw the problem beforehand it would still have been a 50/50 guess.

The problem is, one of them was a 1A supply, while the other is 3.5A

So I unplugged the modem and the monitor and swapped the cables over. The monitor (thank god) worked fine. But I fried the modem. Bugger.