One man's struggle to come to terms with leaving Wigan.

måndag, januari 10

I am very lucky.

I have a lovely wife that I finally appreciate for what she's worth, a beautiful daughter with a sunny disposition (and the ability to count up to 24 in French) and a supportive family. I have a nephew on the way, who will be born at the end of May.

I have a job that pays quite well - especially so considering it's not really very hard work. I get to live within walking distance of my office, which is itself just off one of the most famous and photogenic roads in the world.

I have lived in five countries, and I have friends from all over the world - some of whom I know I could call on if the shit were ever really to hit the fan.

I have no debts to speak of, and I know the value of a dollar. My home is not in any immediate danger of being washed away by floods, and it has an uninterrupted supply of electricity and water. I can read and write and perform complicated sums with the aid of a pencil and paper.

My health is good - although I am protected by excellent health insurance if anything goes wrong.

I think sometimes it's good to remind yourself that however frustrated one might get, things aren't really so bad.