One man's struggle to come to terms with leaving Wigan.

söndag, januari 4

I got a DAB digital radio from my lovely wife for Christmas. Apart from the fact I can now get my favourite AM radio station in crystal clear quality, the best thing about it is that you can now get the BBC world service in the UK without having to resort to short wave or t'internet.

I used to listen to the World Service a lot in Singapore (and if you'd heard Mediacorp radio you'd know why), and I'd kinda missed it.

The unique thing about the World Service is that you can turn it on and get absolutely anything - from the latest UK charts to the football to (on one memorable occasion) a documentary about the Ethiopian Jewish community in Israel. I don't know about you, but I didn't know there was an Ethiopian Jewisj population in Israel, and I certainly didn't know they were interesting enough to make a 30 minute radio documentary about.

And that's the other fantastic thing about the World Service - it makes you realise that just about everything is interesting, provided it's presented in an informed, knowledgeable and compelling way.