One man's struggle to come to terms with leaving Wigan.

torsdag, juli 8

It seems a lifetime ago, but cast your mind back three years. Sam and I were living in Stockholm, Isobel was an as-yet unnanounced lump in her Mummy's tummy, and we went over to the UK to tell everyone the good news.

My Dad lent me his car, so that we could drive down to the south coast and stay with Sam's sister and her boyfriend (the ones that now live 10 minutes away from us in Paris). We got ready to leave from Sam's parent house (they were in France at the time) in a bit of a hurry, and on the way down I realised I wasn't wearing my watch - which was a very nice one Sam had bought me for my birthday a couple of years previously.

I assumed I'd forgotten to put it on after doing the washing up or something, and didn't think too much about it. But when we got back it had simply disappeared.

The only concusion we could reach after hunting high and low for the watch was that one of us had accidentally picked it up and thrown it out with the rubbish. Which is one of those things that happens I guess.

I claimed for the watch on my travel insurance, bought another one that I don't like quite as much, and didn't think any more about it.

Until yesterday, when I called my Mum. My Dad had had a flat tyre, and had changed his wheel. Tucked under the carpet of his bot was... my watch. Still ticking and still in perfect order after the three years it had spent travelling round the UK.

I know it's not a fantastic story. but it made me smile.

The only problem now is, have I cheated the insurance company?