One man's struggle to come to terms with leaving Wigan.

onsdag, maj 26

It’s funny. When I walk around Paris, it all seems very familiar. I know how the Métro works, I know a bit (a bit) of the language and I know basically where everything is in relation to everything else. I’ve been here dozens of times before, and now I live here. Obviously that makes for a rather different experience, but I do feel strangely at home.

When I’ve moved to other countries before, they’ve been completely foreign and undiscovered. I remember sitting on the Tunnelbana in Stockholm on my first day, looking around at the ads on the train and thinking that I didn’t understand a single word of most of them. But here I can basically understand everything. I can even read a newspaper to some extent. It makes it a very different experience.

I also got a good reminder of what a small world the advertising industry is. There’s a guy here that comes form Stockholm, and knows all the people I used to work with in Sweden. I got a string of emails from former colleagues he’d mentioned me to. Which was great - but it also means that you must never ever say anything bad about anyone in this industry. Because even if you don’t work with them now, you probably will in the future.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nigel said...

Damn. Hope we never work together, then.

4:26 em

 
Blogger Justin said...

Hmm...Does that mean you've said bad things about me in the past?

11:57 fm

 

Skicka en kommentar

<< Home