One man's struggle to come to terms with leaving Wigan.

måndag, maj 10

Right. This time it's serious. I AM going to keep this blog more up to date, and I AM going to make it interesting, dammit.

Here's interesting fact number one: I now live in Paris. I've been here a week now and I love it. Even though I'm living in a tiny hotel room on my own, and even though I'm eating in McDonalds more than I (or indeed anyone except the population of the midwest) would like - due to the fact I'm having to make three weeks' salary last six weeks at the moment, I think this is going to be a fabulous place to live.

It started on my first morning, when I arrived at the office. Now when I was a lad, I learned at school that French kids start school at 8 and finish just after lunch. So perhaps not unnaturally I thought I should make a fairly early start and arrived at 8.45 and waited.

And waited.

And waited.

Turns out the Creative Department start work at 10. Which means a nice long breakfast and a leisurely walk to work for me every morning, since my flat is about 2.5km from the office and I desperately need to get fit.

The office environment seems very civilised, too. The last agency I worked at made every job into a crisis - to the extent that I have a terrible feeling the account director is going to make herself very ill indeed if she's not careful. But here there seems to be a bit more... perspective.