One man's struggle to come to terms with leaving Wigan.

torsdag, juli 29

Yesterday I went, with the rest of my team at the agency, to Deauville - a once very chic resort on the Normandy coast. It still has a certain something actually.

We had a jolly nice meal by the seaside, marred only by the fact I really fancied some fruits de mer - but it wasn't really made clear which menu we were ordering from, I wasn't paying and I didn't want to take the piss. Eventually I chose the moules frites, only for Fred (my art director) to order exactly what I'd been fancying. Gah.

But for me the most interesting part of the day was that it was a real trip down memory lane. Deauville is just along the coast from Le Havre, which is a major French port and the place the ferries we used to get to go on holiday docked. Across the bay  could see the coast road from le Havre to the Pont de Tancarville over the Seine. Even though it must be more then 20 years since I was last there I could recognise every landmark. I don't know why the memories are so vivid. Probably because we were so excited and just soaked it all up.